Saturday, December 15, 2012

I Have a Beef With This Recipe

This month has been utterly exhausting so far, and I have felt more than usually depleted of iron and other nutritional tweaks to my well-being.  I'm still mostly a vegetarian, though I've become a "meat snob" who will occasionally indulge in good local grass-fed meats in small quantities.  But this week, I knew I needed beef and plenty of it.

Luckily, a couple of weeks ago I spotted a recipe for Ginger Beef Noodle Soup on my friend Emily's blog (recently revived to share what she has learned about her new house and how to live a less energy-dependent lifestyle).  I knew I had a package of beef stir-fry strips (from the Fiddlin' Farmer) and plenty of local ginger in the freezer, and with fresh carrots, onions, and garlic plus pac choi from the freezer, I was pretty sure the soup would be a breeze to throw together.

Bless Emily and her bare-bones recipe, I didn't even have to worry about exact quantities or sticking exactly to the directions.  I browned the beef with the onion and ginger, added most everything else, and let it simmer a while before I ladled out a dish for dinner.

Wow!  Spicy but flavorful, my version of the soup had a wonderful kick from red pepper flakes as well as lots of ginger, and every bite had a perfect melding of flavors.  I had a nice big bowl for supper and still tucked two pints into the fridge for later consumption.  And oh! do I feel better!

So what's my beef with this recipe?  Only this: I can't wait to make it again!


Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 12/31/2012 1:14 PM, OpenID eatclosetohome said...

Oh, hooray! Glad you liked it. We had a similar chicken version last night - with added coconut milk. Mmmm...

 
At 12/31/2012 1:26 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Ooooh, that sounds equally delicious. I do love recipes that offer a good base to experiment from...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home