Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Holiday Dish List

'Tis the week of Christmas, and since I plan to take a partial vacation from business baking later this week, it seemed an ideal time to indulge in some delicious baking and cooking for myself (and for My Dear Papa, since we are sharing a holiday feast today).

--Okay, technically these scones are business-related as I need to finish testing and tweaking recipes for my upcoming biscuits and scones class at Today's Kitchen Store.  I made a basic whole wheat scone, replaced a bit of flour with rolled oats, added some eggnog in place of cream, dusted the dough and the scones lightly with nutmeg, brushed cream on top and sprinkled with sugar and chopped pecans.  How lovely!

--I found a recipe recently for a Brussels sprouts hash that incorporated candied pecans.  Since I had picked up fresh sprouts at the market last week and received a gift goodie bag of candied pecans from one of the cafe chefs, I knew I had to try it!  Easy peasy: shred the sprouts, then saute them in olive oil with a bit of salt and pepper and balsamic vinegar, then throw in the crushed pecans.  This dish was so good, My Dear Papa asked for some of the leftovers!

--Of course, it wouldn't be a special winter feast in my book without the ever-decadent gratin dauphinois I learned to make in France.  This year's dish used potatoes and garlic from my own garden, homemade butter from the Delighted Gardener, lots of shredded Gruyere cheese, and straight-up cream.  Not milk, not half-and-half -- cream.  Now you know why I only make it once a year.

I also provided the dinner rolls (spelt) while Dad made the fennel-and-cornbread-stuffed turkey breast, and I brought a special dessert, too.  But that's worthy of its own post...



Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home