Thursday, August 16, 2012

Slaw and Order

It's that time of year when the garden is overflowing with produce and I have bigger eyes at the farmers' market than I do stomach -- which means I inevitably have a lot more food in the refrigerator than I get around to cooking and eating.

This week, though, I'm determined to do something about all the produce and to bring some semblance of order to my kitchen.

On Monday, I shut up and put up -- two batches of salsa.  I also breaded and baked more eggplant for the freezer, and I sliced the remaining peaches, tossed them with a bit of sugar, bagged them, and added them to the freezer, too.

Today, I dealt with the head of cabbage I'd bought at Saturday's market.  I've been trying to eat more of my vegetables raw or minimally cooked, and salads seem to be a good way to make a big bunch of vegetables all at once.  So I pulled out the family cookbook and found a slaw recipe that uses a sweet and sour dressing, not the usual mayo-based one.

Picture it: green cabbage, red and orange carrots, red onion from the garden, and a light dressing.  Colorful, raw, and so very, very good.  I ended up with two pints of it, so that should cover me for lunches this week.

Who knows what I'll whip into shape tomorrow?


Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 8/27/2012 4:30 PM, Anonymous Emily said...

Oh! That's my favorite kind of slaw - but I don't have a recipe. Share?

 
At 8/30/2012 3:24 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

I only made half a batch, but here goes:

1 head cabbage, shredded
2 onions, sliced thinly
2 carrots, shredded
salt (1 T. per quart of water)
2 c sugar
2 c vinegar
2 T celery seed
1 T mustard seed

Cover vegetables with salted water. Let stand for several hours. Drain well.

Combine remaining ingredients for dressing. Heat ingredients to boil, then cool. Mix with vegetables. Keep refrigerated.

That's it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home