Monday, August 13, 2012

Life's a Peach

With my baking schedule and self-employed status, I don't get much in the way of vacations any more.  Granted, I did take two days "off" when my oven was on the blink, but in lieu of baking I did some writing and housework -- sort of a vacation, but not completely.

But don't think me a whiner:  I occasionally get a little respite, and when I do, I make it worthwhile.  (And then I bring home more work.  But I'm getting ahead of myself...)

My Dear Papa and I headed up to the lake on Sunday for our annual peach quest.  We stopped in Sandusky for the freshest fish sandwich ever (so fresh, I had to slap it!), then visited some of our favorite lakeside spots, such as Marblehead.  (That's Cedar Point in the distance.)  What a beautiful day!

We stopped at Mon Ami winery, an old favorite, and I picked up a couple bottles of wine.  I have plans: the Pinot Grigio is destined for a French chicken dish, and the White Catawba will eventually become the base of a fruity summer sangria.  After the winery, we stopped by the orchard to get pecks of peaches -- a couple for the Renaissance Man, who is eager to can peaches again this year, and one for me.

I did plan to can peaches au naturel (the peaches being unadorned, not me -- ahem!) but decided to try a new recipe instead.  I chopped up most of the peaches and mixed them with vinegar, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, and a bit of honey (maybe something else, too, can't remember) and turned them into salsa.

I only managed to get three pints of the peach salsa made, but since I had lots of Roma tomatoes from the Delighted Gardener and a canner full of hot water, I figured I'd go ahead and make some more traditional salsa.  Since I used red tomatoes, a yellow bell pepper, and green cilantro and jalapeno, I'm going to call it "stoplight" salsa.  (Because I can, that's why!)

So after all that hard work, I might be ready for another vacation.  Or at least a good night's sleep!



Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home