Monday, June 25, 2012

The Lavender Year


The crazy weather this year has thrown a number of gardening and food preservation plans awry, but in one area, the early and persistent heat (and even the increasing lack of rain) has been a blessing for my lavender crops.

In garden #1, my two lavender bushes have yielded four cuttings, three of which occurred during the last two weeks of May.  In garden #2, two more lavender bushes have provided two extensive cuttings.  (The lavender plants in garden #3, planted just weeks ago, are of course too new to yield anything.)

That means I've got several brown bags of cut lavender lolling about my place, drying in their own sweet time and adding their clean fragrance to the air.  What bliss!

But since I've been using lots of lavender in tea blends for the market, I've also bought and traded for even more lavender from some of my fellow producers at Local Roots.  I'll be curious to see how much I end up with once all the flowers are dried and stripped from their stems.


I've already dipped into this year's harvest, though.  I led a cooking class at Today's Kitchen Store yesterday afternoon -- an "Herbal Tea Party" -- and along with the luscious little fruit parfaits I made and dusted with mint sugar, I made my old-fashioned lavender cookies.  They were a very big hit!  And since these cookies are refrigerator cookies, with the dough needing to be chilled before baking, I had brought pre-chilled dough to class and took home the dough I made during the class.

Which meant, you see, that I had a nice big log of lavender cookie dough needing to be baked off this morning... and since I don't really need to eat all those cookies, I had an easy dessert to add to the Local Roots bakery case to start the week.

I do love my lavender!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 6/28/2012 12:16 PM, Anonymous Emily said...

I blend it with sage and rosemary for homemade Herbs of Provence!

 
At 6/28/2012 3:48 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

I have been pondering doing that this year, E -- what proportions do you use?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home