Thursday, January 26, 2012

Take Tart

The bakery case at Local Roots has been looking a little roomy this month, so I've been trying to do my part by contributing a little more in the way of good desserts with local ingredients. The last two cakes I've made -- apple spice streusel and cherry-almond -- have been received so well that I had to make second cakes each week.

This week, though, I wanted to make something a little different.

Last week I had made almond croissants, and I had some almond filling left, so I thought that a tart combining the filling with some pear slices (and topped with almonds, of course) would be a nice, elegant treat. I used the crust from my tarte tatin variations (with spelt pastry flour) and ended up with a dessert that looked, smelled, and tasted divine:


Yes, I was proud of my effort. How kind of you to think so!

I had enough crust dough left for a potential second tart, but as the week progressed and sales of bakery items were a little slower than usual, I decided on another fate for it. After baking my apple strudel breads this morning, I had a good bit of apple filling left over, and the idea of combining it with the crust and the last of the almond filling struck me as not only deliciously brilliant, but also an excellent way to avoid waste.


Not enough dough remained for me to make a full lattice top, but I thought a little extra decoration would be nice. And oh! did this make a heavenly addition to morning tea time!

(Though I suppose that cutting a slice out now makes me broken-tarted...)

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 1/27/2012 5:46 AM, Blogger knutty knitter said...

Looks really nice that little tart number.

I'd like a little more summer round here. We had to put the winter quilt on again - in January!

viv in nz

 
At 1/27/2012 6:54 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

It's been quite a treat, that tart!

Sounds like your summer and our winter is about evening out at the moment -- and that's not quite right. I don't care for extremes, but I would at least like to enjoy a season in its season! Hope you get a little more warmth soon...

 
At 1/28/2012 3:10 PM, Anonymous Jasmine said...

hmm, I am way behind on blog reading and food section reading but I just figured out that your "local Roots" is the same one that was featured in the Washington Post earlier this month. Congratulations!!

 
At 1/28/2012 3:49 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Thanks, Jasmine! Yes, that was exciting for us, to get that kind of exposure -- and we've had a great upsurge of interest in how we've developed the market thanks to that article. Big stuff!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home