Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Are My Roots Showing?

Whew! Now that Christmas -- and the mad dash of baking that preceded it -- is over, I can take a partial vacation week and maybe get caught up with things at home.

I say maybe because, well, really, who am I kidding? I'm still baking bread for market this week -- though not as much -- and I have a to-do list as long as my arm. So while I have great hopes that I will accomplish a lot, I'm not going to hold my breath that absolutely everything will get done.

But one thing I was determined to do this week was to cook something -- something new, something substantial, something using food from the garden, something for myself.


The weather has been mild enough this month to allow me to get out to the garden and harvest most of the lingering root vegetables: carrots, parsnips, a couple wee little golden beets, and a few very large and very beautiful scarlet turnips. (The celery root came from, where else, Local Roots.)


I found a recipe for a root vegetable pot pie, and I thought it was time to give it a go. I peeled and diced plenty of those vegetables, adding in some of the turnip leaves as they looked and tasted really good. The recipe called for a white sauce to be added with the vegetables, and though mine was a little thin, it did help cook them to satisfying tenderness before I added -- get this! -- an herbed biscuit topping. (That was the appeal of the recipe: no crust to make!)


The results were both wonderfully satisfying and a little disappointing. The disappointment came from the fact that vegetables virtually disappeared! I probably could have added twice as many vegetables for the way they got swallowed up in the biscuit topping.

But then, I seriously love biscuits and was more than happy to enjoy that part of the meal, with a few excuses for vegetables thrown in. (The Renaissance Man thoroughly agreed.)

I'm not sure how much I'll get done from that to-do list, but one thing's for sure...

I will definitely have dinner ready for a few nights.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home