Friday, May 06, 2011

Mint to Be

I've had a hard time motivating myself to get out and work in the garden so far this year. Granted, we've had a lot of rainy days that have kept a lot of people out of gardens and fields, but I haven't taken advantage of many of the little windows of opportunity that have come my way.

Yesterday, though, the sun was shining, the breeze was warm(ish), and I finished baking early enough in the afternoon to allow me one of those wee windows. And by golly, I took it.

A couple of my new herbal tisane blends for the market have nearly sold out already, including one that uses spearmint, so I need to get the dehydrator out and start harvesting and drying herbs. So I headed over to the Renaissance Man's place to harvest spearmint since I am completely out of dried mint.


When last I checked, it didn't look like there was much to pick, but yesterday I managed to fill a good-sized basket with clippings -- which then translated to three pint jars stuffed full of sprigs. What fragrant bouquets!

Once I finish baking today, I intend to clear the kitchen table and set up the dehydrator. I also need to dry lots of nettles (for another tea blend), so I expect to have this thing humming before long. And then maybe while it's out, I can harvest the first peppermint and lemon balm, too.

And maybe... just maybe... next week I can get into the garden for more work!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home