Monday, January 03, 2011

You Make Me Fillo Like Dancing...

I recently decided that I needed to start actively using what I tucked into my pantry and my freezer. Since I'm coming into a lean time of the year income-wise, I'm trying my best to be extremely frugal in my grocery shopping, looking at what I have at home first and making the most of it.

That means dealing with leftover ingredients as much as what's put up properly. And I faced this evening with a few such leftovers: part of a squash, some chèvre that really needed to be used, and less than half a package of fillo dough. (The first half went to the last pan of baklava; several additional sheets ended up in a makeshift spanokopita.)

It occurred to me that if I combined the squash and chèvre with other ingredients, I'd have a tasty filling for something like ravioli -- so why not use the fillo dough instead of making pasta?

Not a bad idea, I thought. So this afternoon/evening I slipped a little jazz (Pink Martini, my new favorite) into the computer and bebopped my way around the kitchen while I cooked.

Here's the recipe (sort of):

--Peel, seed, cube a small squash (or half a large one) and steam or boil until tender. Drain.

--In a small skillet, melt 1 T butter and toss in some dried sage and chopped walnuts. Add salt and pepper to taste, then remove from heat once the sage becomes fragrant.


--In a food processor, combine squash, about 4-6 oz chèvre (to taste), the sage-walnut mixture, and a drizzle of olive oil.


--Let 'er rip. Taste and adjust seasonings.


--Lay one sheet fillo dough on a clean surface. Fold in half lengthwise. Brush with olive oil. Place a heaping spoonful of filling on the lower right corner.


--Flip filling over to the opposite corner and continue folding as you would a flag.


--Set finished turnover on parchment-lined baking sheet and brush lightly with olive oil. Repeat until pan is full. Bake at 350 F for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.


I had homemade French onion soup left over, so I spooned that into a bowl (over chunks of a leftover baguette) and served it with a couple of turnovers. The turnovers ended up light and flaky with the creamy filling -- utterly irresistible!

Definitely a meal to make me dance with delight!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 1/13/2011 9:49 AM, Blogger Tara said...

Mmmm... that looks so good! I love the idea of using up squash in this way.

 
At 1/13/2011 10:53 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

It worked out well as leftovers, too, with a brief re-crisping in the oven. Would be good with chutney or some tangy relish, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home