Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Rice and Shine

Still snowy outside. Still cleaning out the pantry inside -- or at least making the best of what I've got.

Tonight's challenge was to use up -- or at least most of -- the vegetable stock remaining in the refrigerator. Problem is, none of the soup recipes I had bookmarked really appealed to me tonight as last night's pot pie satisfied my potato craving for a day or so.

So, I started looking through other recipes and decided to make a baked risotto.

The recipe I have calls for asparagus and spinach, and though it's nowhere near asparagus season yet, I did get spinach at the market last weekend and though I could round it out with some dried carrot shreds and thin slices of the radishes that the Renaissance Man shared with me today (from the Winter Harvesters via Local Roots).

Bingo!


This dish even cleaned out the last of the arborio rice in the cupboard and almost the last of the Parmesan-style cheese from my bud at Canal Junction Farmstead Cheese. Add to that good flavor and leftovers for another meal or two, and I'd say it all turned out fine.

In fact, I'd call it a shining example of a frugal pantry meal!

Addendum: Per request, here's the recipe:

1 T extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
sea salt and black pepper to taste
1 c Arborio rice
2 c vegetable broth
4 c spinach, rinsed and chopped
2 radishes, thinly sliced
1/4 c dried carrot shreds OR 2 carrots, peeled and shredded
1/4 c shredded Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400 F.

Saute onion in oil over medium heat. When lightly browned, season with salt and pepper. Add rice and stir to coat, then pour in broth and add vegetables. Bring to a simmer. Stir in half the cheese. Pour mixture into a 1-quart ovenproof baking dish and top with remaining cheese.

Bake for 40-45 minutes, until liquid is fully absorbed. Serve immediately.

Serves 2-4

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 1/13/2011 8:51 AM, Blogger Allison at Novice Life said...

Ohhh this sounds wonderful and I do have spinach I need to use up! Do you have the recipe to share :) ?

 
At 1/13/2011 9:01 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Can do, Allison -- I've simplified it from the original, adding in these modifications, and added it to the post. Feel free to vary vegetables, seasonings, and cheese as you like -- I think this would make an excellent clean-up dish no matter what you have on hand!

 
At 1/14/2011 10:47 AM, Blogger Allison at Novice Life said...

Yum! Thank you so much!!

 
At 1/14/2011 11:33 AM, OpenID eatclosetohome said...

yummmmmmmmmm

 
At 1/19/2011 4:35 AM, Anonymous Marge - Dishes said...

Happy new year, and best of luck on a great 2011!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home