Sunday, December 26, 2010

'Twas the Day After Christmas...


The buildup to Christmas always seems exhausting, no matter how much or little I do to prepare for it. This year, of course, I focused on my holiday baking for the market, though I tried to save some for friends near and far.

Come the day after Christmas, though, I'm ready for the peace and quiet of a cold winter's day, particularly if it comes with light snow as it did today. It's the kind of day I need to get myself back on an even keel after too much holiday indulgence.

So though I did get a start on the week's baking for market -- the last baklava, dough for buckwheat cookies and cheese crackers and croissants -- I also pulled out a recipe for a pasta sauce with root vegetables from Recipes From the Root Cellar, used it to clean some tired old vegetables out of the refrigerator (along with spinach-infused water from another dish last week and a jar of home-canned tomatoes), and set it to simmering on the stove while I worked.

Hours later, the sauce has thickened, deepened in flavor, and created a deliciously tempting aroma throughout my home. Now all I need to do is cook some pasta, shred some cheese, and wait for the Renaissance Man to show up.

Here's hoping you all had a joyful Christmas -- and are ready for a little quiet before the New Year sets us on the treadmill yet again!

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 12/27/2010 2:04 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

Merry Christmas, and here's to a fruitful and adventurous 2011! xoxo

 
At 12/27/2010 7:58 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

And to you as well, my friend! xo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home