Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Eat Local Ohio Week, Day #5

If it's Wednesday, it must be time to switch over from farming to baking!

The rain -- light but persistent -- lingered this morning as we cleared another plot of withered tomato plants. Still, it was good to get some of the most exhausting fall cleanup work out of the way this week, even in the inclement weather.

But all that work out in the cool damp weather kept me reaching for carbohydrates, even as I tried to eat more vegetables. Still, they're local!

--Started the bread baking early this morning, whipping out the garlic-herb baguettes and pumpernickel loaves before breakfast.

--Enjoyed a grilled cheese sandwich (my wheat bread, local butter, baby Swiss from Ohio Farm Direct) for breakfast, along with coffee.

--Downed the last kale-cheddar roll from last week's market as I drove away from the farm at lunchtime.

--Continued baking through the afternoon (4 pesto flatbreads and 2 loaves of each of four kinds of homestyle breads).

--Nibbled on a piece of toasted wheat bread smeared with chèvre (from Lucky Penny Creamery) and topped with walnuts and a drizzle of local honey.

--Rewarded the Renaissance Man for fixing my trusty KitchenAid: made pasta with a fresh tomato-garlic-basil sauce for dinner, topped with shreds of Burr Oak (Parmesan-style cheese from Canal Junction Farmstead).

--Made the reward even sweeter by sharing the last of the tarte tatin with him, washed down with cider from the local orchard.

A good day!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 10/06/2010 8:55 PM, Blogger TaraChristiane said...

Sounds as if your local challenge is going well! Not an easy task you set for yourself... congratulations on doing so well.

 
At 10/07/2010 3:47 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Thanks, Tara! I think it would have been easier had this not been such a busy and draining work week, but that's why I tailored my personal challenge to cover things I might actually be able to do in the midst of everything else. Still, it's pointing out some things I could do differently, if I had the energy... :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home