Saturday, October 16, 2010

Are My Roots Showing?

I made some vegetable soup stock a week or two ago and finally realized yesterday that it was still in the refrigerator, unused. Not a good state of affairs, though all too easily done, given how full my refrigerator gets as I prepare for the week's baking.

With the weather growing a little more chilly, though, I thought I'd better make some soup very soon, before I lose that stock to mold.

When I dropped off my first round of baking at Local Roots on Thursday, I ran into one of the Winter Harvesters, who greeted me with a big smile and a hug. Since I haven't seen her since spring, I was eager to find out what she had brought to market. A lot, as it turned out: baby spinach, arugula, salad mix, carrots, tomatoes, peppers, and celery root.

Now, celery root is one of those vegetables I keep meaning to try and never do, mainly because I hadn't a clue how to use it effectively. But as I remembered that I've seen it in soup recipes -- and since I knew I wanted to make soup this weekend -- I thought I'd buy one and give it a shot.

Of course, there were other items from the market lingering in my refrigerator, begging to be added to soup, too, so after market this morning, I decided to pull them all out and throw together something hearty and warming.

I started by slicing and sauteing one leek, then added salt, pepper, dried thyme, and that celery root (peeled and cubed). After that, I tossed in cauliflower, carrots, and Daisy Gold potatoes -- all from Local Roots producers, hooray! -- poured vegetable stock on top, and let it all simmer for an hour or more.

I took out one cup of soup and pureed it, adding it back in to give the soup more thickness, and then I laid some torn kale on top, covering the pot and turning off the heat so that the kale would steam and not overcook.

I ran off for about half an hour to mill spelt into flour, and when I returned, the soup was ready to eat.


With chunks of homemade artisan wheat bread on the side, this soup definitely warmed me up! The combination of flavors turned out well, making a mild but not bland lunch. I could have added some shredded cheese on top, but I decided today that I didn't really need it. And best of all, I have leftovers for later in the week.

I'm so glad that root vegetable season is here. I love the comforting taste of carrots and parsnips -- and now golden beets from the garden, rutabagas from the market, and even this humble celery root.

Looks like it's going to be a tasty winter!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 10/16/2010 2:34 PM, Blogger TaraChristiane said...

Mmmm... that looks so good! I have yet to master anything beyond potatoes and carrots, but I'm sure that will change one of these days. Squash is big on the agenda around here these days. Butternut squash fries tonight!

 
At 10/18/2010 6:24 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Ooooh, squash fries, I love those! There's an idea I need to turn into reality one of these days...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home