Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Seconds for Dinner

I feel extremely fortunate in my choice of work this year. Not only am I learning a great deal from the OEFFA Male as his apprentice, but I am also enjoying the work, getting paid a decent wage, and receiving as many "seconds" in produce (and even seedlings) as I want.

As I told a few friends early on, I certainly won't go hungry this year!

I only spent 3 1/2 hours with the OEFFA Male this morning, harvesting produce in a steady rain and getting thoroughly soaked in preparation for his Wednesday afternoon farmers' market. We gathered beets, kohlrabi, turnips, radishes, kale, and mustard greens to go with the garlic scapes I picked yesterday.

Along with the market-grade produce, of course, came the "seconds" -- items too holey, slug-damaged, split, or otherwise unattractive for the market table. And these, of course, were offered to me -- not because he's too cheap to give me the good stuff but because he knows that I know that there is still plenty of good food in those seconds.

So I returned home with a bin full of kohlrabi, radishes, and turnips, as well as a bag of garlic scapes, a bag of lettuce, and the first small bag of snow peas (not enough for market). And I put them to good use:


Easy, quick, and loaded with good fresh flavor, this stir-fry looked and tasted just as fantastic as if I had bought all the produce at market. Actually, it was probably even better since a great deal of my own work went into it!

I can tell I have a very tasty summer ahead...

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 6/10/2010 1:24 PM, Blogger TaraChristiane said...

I would never have thought to pop radishes into a stir fry. Great idea!

 
At 6/10/2010 2:06 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

They added a nice peppery bite as well as that lovely color. Very tasty!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home