Saturday, June 05, 2010

Market Report: 6/5/2010

Now that June is here, it's time to welcome back the Downtown Farmers' Market!

This year, the city finally allowed the market to close one street block so that all the vendors could be in the same general area. It brings everyone together in the same space instead of scattering them around the square, so I hope this will help everyone bring in more business.

I arrived early, after a quick stop at Local Roots to "fluff" my shelf and check on what had already sold. Many of my favorite farmers were there, setting up and wandering around to visit with others, so I settled back into the routine comfortably.

The problem I'll have with the farmers' market this year is going to be sticking to a budget: now that I've reduced my income, I won't be able to spend as lavishly as I'm accustomed to doing. I'll have to remember what I'm going to be able to harvest from the garden (or seconds from the farm) and only spend on those things I don't have access to otherwise and know I will use for specific dishes or for preservation. That's going to be a challenge!

But today I met it comfortably -- partly by permitting myself to take only $20 to the market. I managed to stretch that both at the outside market and back over at Local Roots:


I bought a bag of spinach from The Cheerful Lady since I used up all of last week's in making spinach-feta rolls for the bakery case. (And as it turns out, that proved to be a popular item -- it had already sold out! Guess I'll make more next week!) I also visited a long time with the Lady Bountiful, someone I had not expected to see at the market, and bought a basket of her delicious strawberries, with plans to use a few in shortcakes and to dry the rest.

Back at Local Roots, I found a fragrant rose-scented geranium that made me long for the one I had years ago, and I restocked on eggs from The Fiddlin' Farmer.

So I managed to stay under budget, visit with friends, and be able to carry everything home safely. Good job!

So good to have the market back!

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 6/07/2010 1:45 PM, Blogger Margo said...

The spinach-feta rolls were great .. and I had the honor of putting them out on the plate to sell and could feel their warm softness .. had to wait til after 4 hours of work to eat it!

 
At 6/07/2010 6:47 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Glad you enjoyed it, Margo! I think I will definitely have to have those in a more regular rotation -- and I'm glad I have extra spinach and feta this week. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home