Friday, June 11, 2010

Independence Days #54

Now that was a week!

I've been go-go-going since the last Independence Days report, but despite the occasional frazzles, I find I'm really -- no, really -- enjoying keeping this busy. And did I mention I love my work at the farm and in the kitchen?

Now I just need to find more time to preserve all the great food I'm getting this season! So here's this week's update:

1. Plant something: More tomatoes, peppers, beets, kohlrabi, lettuce, melons, winter squash at the OEFFA Male's farm; left tomato and basil seedlings at the fabulous Jen's; planted Black Cherry tomato seedling and basil at the Renaissance Man's garden.


2. Harvest something: Radishes, fava beans, lavender at the Renaissance Man's garden; elder blossoms, garlic scapes, kohlrabi, turnips, radishes at the OEFFA Male's farm; broccoli raab (middle; for market!) at the fabulous Jen's.

3. Preserve something: Dried elder blossoms, lavender; meant to do more, but haven't yet (perhaps this weekend).

4. Reduce waste (Waste not): Enthusiastically brought home more seconds from the farm; learning to use less flour in kneading bread; saved spinach stems, turnip leaves for stock; decided to take surplus broccoli raab to sell at market.

5. Preparation and storage (Want not): Milled wheat, spelt for flour; stocked up on cheese for this week's baking; rearranged storage of canning jars; restocked butter and milk.

6. Build local food systems: Swapped crackers for spinach after market Saturday; enjoyed The Photographer's potluck; wrote two short columns for Local Roots for the Wooster Weekly News; worked three days at the OEFFA Male's farm (two of which were 7-8 hrs!); helped the OEFFA Male get ready for market; shared seedlings from the farm with my other gardens; shared seconds with My Wonderful Parents and the Renaissance Man; baked for market, then baked more today after seeing what sold yesterday!; swapped bread for fresh herbs; worked in the garden at the Renaissance Man's; worked with the fabulous Jen in her garden.

7. Eat the food: More French toast from leftover bread; pasta with spinach and dried tomatoes and feta; broccoli pita pizzas; rice with preserved (canned, dried, frozen) vegetables; dried cinnamon apple slices; strawberry-rhubarb shortcake; hazelnut shortbread; grilled cheese with kohlrabi or turnip greens; broccoli-walnut pasta.

I expect to do more this weekend -- planning to make strawberry jam and run one or two loads of fruit and herbs through the dehydrator -- but I'll also have to use the time to figure out a way to keep preserving the harvest without running myself ragged. After all, I'll be seeing a lot more good food very soon now!

Back to baking!

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home