Saturday, May 22, 2010

Market Report: 5/22/10

After last week's whirlwind surrounding the Grand Opening at Local Roots, I needed a bit of a breather from the market.

I figured that traffic would be a little slower than last week, so I didn't bake quite as much (though still a lot), and I tried to get in and out as quickly as I could, both to drop off inventory and to shop. That worked fine until this afternoon, when I arrived about an hour before closing and decided just to relax and linger.

I picked up my week's specialty baking ingredients on Friday -- chèvre from Lucky Penny Creamery, Ludlow cheese from Blue Jacket Dairy, more butter and milk from Hartzler Family Dairy, and the new shagbark hickory syrup and rhubarb syrup from a new producer. (I look forward to trying and experimenting with those!)

Today, though, I needed to pick up my online order:


Along with a big bundle of fresh rosemary from the Cheerful Lady, I had ordered herb pots from a new nursery/farm producer: rosemary, English thyme, and chocolate mint (something I haven't had for years and have missed terribly!). This new producer is also a member of the local OEFFA chapter, so I'm thrilled to report that the herbs are absolutely gorgeous and lush and well-sized for the price.


I also needed to pick up some basil seedlings for the Southern Belle's garden -- those I started from seed are going to the fabulous Jen's plot -- and when I found that the last remaining seven pots were from the same producer, I snapped them up. Aren't they beautiful? You can almost smell that distinctively clean and tempting fragrance from here.

As for my own market items, sales slipped a bit this week, but I shared pita bread with one person, donated a loaf of pumpernickel, and used a loaf of pain aux noix along with some cheddar scallion rolls to repay the fabulous Jen for her help on a project. (We're fans of the barter system!) I'll enjoy the rest this week in my own meals.

And thanks to these herbs, I'll be able to play more with my baking this week!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 5/23/2010 8:06 AM, Blogger NoviceLife said...

Barter systems are great, aren't they!

 
At 5/23/2010 5:42 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

I love 'em! Always have, and especially do now...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home