Saturday, May 01, 2010

Market Report: 5/1/2010

Clearly, I have no resistance to Spring -- or to fresh Spring produce.

I had determined this week that I would simply shop online for my fresh produce at Local Roots, and I put in an order for a bag of mixed salad greens and another bag of spinach from The Winter Harvesters. That, I thought, would do it for the week, and I wouldn't need to pick up anything else at the market.

The market, however, had other ideas.


First, the asparagus from the Fiddlin' Farmer jumped out at me, and since it had been so tender and delicious in the quiche this week, I thought I might make something else to enjoy it this week.

Then I spotted the fiddlehead ferns from the Amish Farmers, and since I've never eaten these before, I wanted to try them.

And since the Garden Gal had brought me more stinging nettles and lambsquarters for my cooking demo, I ended up with some leftover greens to take home. Oh, darn!

On top of that, of course, I had to restock on cheeses for my cheese/herb breads for next week, and I needed another dozen eggs after making egg-rich brownies for market. So there went this week's grocery budget.


I spent most of the morning at the market, preparing for and working through my cooking demonstration. Using my homemade whole wheat pita breads as a base, I made breakfast pizzas with scrambled eggs incorporating cooked greens (spinach from the Cheerful Lady and the aforementioned nettles and lambsquarters) and herbs, topped with a variety of cheeses, and sometimes enhanced with a smear of local dandelion salsa.


People enjoyed nibbling on these savory bites, and by the end of my demonstration, all of my packages of pita breads had been sold -- first time ever! I also set out chunks of my pumpernickel bread along with a quickly-thrown-together borani of yogurt, Lucky Penny feta, radishes from the OEFFA Male, dill, pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil. That, too, won fans, and soon all my pumpernickel bread was sold, too.

In fact, by the end of the day, I had only three loaves of bread (out of 41) left on my shelf. I traded one loaf to the Cheerful Lady for bags of her spinach, kale, and baby chard -- which meant that I definitely will have enough greens to eat this week (and should probably freeze or dry some, too).

Like I said, no resistance to Spring. But who's complaining?

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home