Thursday, May 13, 2010

Bake In Business

The weather this week -- lots of rain -- meant that I only worked two days at the farm this week. The OEFFA Male decided yesterday morning that we had done all we could outside of the fields for the week, and the fields themselves were too muddy for further planting just yet.

So I reveled in the sudden gain of an extra baking day -- in the week leading up to the Grand Opening at Local Roots Market. Just what I needed!


In addition to plentiful quantities of my usual breads, I also decided to make more of the cinnamon pecan bread that was an immediate success last week (selling out by Saturday morning!). It's a pity that fragrances can't be transmitted over the Internet -- the sweet cinnamon mingling with the yeast and fresh whole wheat of these loaves are heavenly!

Our manager had asked if I might be willing to bake something for the door prize drawing during the day Saturday, and since I had extra time this week, I decided to test a brand-new recipe, an original experiment derived from a bread I've never baked before. (How's that for flying blind?)


Behold the cappuccino chip bread. I took a page from King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking and tweaked the chocolate-vanilla bread to include locally-roasted coffee and a hint of cinnamon. I made two loaves: one for me to test the flavor (complex, not too sweet, with an underlying wholesomeness) and one for a door prize. It's an expensive recipe, so if I make it for market again, chances are I will make rolls or mini loaves out of it.

Overall, I ended up baking 50 loaves of bread for market -- definitely a new record, and one I'm not sure I want to top any time soon! Whew!

So stop by Local Roots on Saturday (May 15) between 9 AM and 3 PM. Check out the market, if you haven't already -- enjoy the fun events we'll have going on -- and see if you can win this delectable loaf of whole-grain local goodness.

What a great way to end the week!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home