Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Waiting For My Chip to Come In

After last week's market, I had two packages of whole wheat pita bread left, so I thought I'd better experiment with them and see how I could use them up before they turned blue and moldy.

First, I made pita pizzas to share with the Renaissance Man for dinner earlier this week. I'm hoping to do a demonstration at Local Roots with these, but I need to work on the recipes a bit. I have an idea for a Thai-flavored pizza with peanuts (will have to make a spicy peanut sauce to spread on the pitas first) and stir-fried pac choi and carrots, and I also tried using pesto as a spread and topping the pizza with goat cheese. We agreed that the flavors and ideas were good, but the execution needed work.

This morning, after baking this week's batch of pita breads for market, I took one of last week's packages of four breads and cut them all into wedges, separating the layers where possible. I brushed each wedge with olive oil and sprinkled it with an herb mixture of dried basil, homemade garlic powder, salt, and pepper.


After about 15-20 minutes in the oven, they came out crisp and pesto-savory good. I nibbled on a few of the broken bits before packing up the rest to sell at market. After all, if my sesame crackers sell well, why shouldn't these?

We'll see how these go this week -- somehow I think I might end up having to bake pita breads AND chips more often.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 4/16/2010 9:51 AM, Blogger Jennifer Hugon said...

Those look DELICIOUS! :)

 
At 4/16/2010 9:55 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

You know where to find them, chickie! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home