Sunday, April 04, 2010

The Sun Rises In the Yeast

Here are a few glimpses from yesterday's baking adventure, courtesy of the fabulous Jen:


I decided to make up the last batch of croissant dough as croissants instead of pains au chocolat for the market -- and I decided to share them with Jen, her husband, and her in-laws (her father-in-law is French) on a sunny spring morning. Of course, I forgot to take along my silicone brush, so I had to brush the egg wash over the proofed croissants with my (very clean!) fingers.


I made sure I gave the croissants plenty of time to proof -- shaped them the night before, kept them overnight in the refrigerator, and then allowed them about 3 hours at room temperature to warm and plump up. (Thanks to the amazing Spicyflower for her professional tips when she last visited!)


These turned out to be the best-shaped croissants -- and the most voluminous -- that I've made in a very, very, very long time. And everyone was ecstatic with the treat, delicately tearing off small flaky bites and savoring them with reverence. We laid out a selection of jellies and enjoyed some good fresh coffee along with them, and with warm conversation and the promise of a beautiful day for working in the garden, we had about as perfect a morning as you could get.

What a fun way to start a sunny day!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 4/06/2010 11:29 AM, OpenID eatclosetohome said...

Those are GORGEOUS!

 
At 4/06/2010 11:38 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

A slight improvement over the last ones you saw, right? :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home