Saturday, April 17, 2010

Market Report: 4/17/2010

She's in, she's out. She's in, she's out.

Market weekends sometimes get a little hectic. Now that I'm dropping off inventory on Friday mornings and picking up most of my week's groceries then, I find I still end up popping into the market on Saturdays, either to drop off new bakery items first thing in the morning or to wander around for a bit -- and then to come back at the end of the day to pick up remaining items.

Such was this weekend.

I dropped off all but one item yesterday and picked up my butter, cheeses, and coffee for the week, but I came back to the market this morning with freshly baked whole wheat croissants for the bakery case and ended up browsing some more, talking with other board members, signing up for a cooking demo next week, and spending a little more money, both for the demo and for my own experimenting at home.


For myself, I found:

--rainbow chard and butterhead lettuce from The Winter Harvesters
--a big roll of unsalted butter from the local dairy
--chèvre and feta from Lucky Penny Creamery
--dill and chipotle cheddar curds from Blue Jacket Dairy
--fresh tarragon from The Garden Goddess
--rhubarb from a fellow board member

For next week's cooking demo -- on wild edibles! -- I took advantage of the market budget line for general demonstrations and purchased violets, ramps, and dandelion greens as well as lined up stinging nettles, lambsquarters, and chickweed from the Garden Goddess. (That's going to be one tasty demo!)

I ran away for a large chunk of the day, visiting My Spiral Friend for a knitting lesson and for strawberry "babies" from her garden, but when I returned to the market, I found that I had very little left from the day's inventory. Hooray!

I suspect next week will be another busy week at the market!

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 4/22/2010 9:04 AM, Blogger NoviceLife said...

It all looks wonderful! I just picked wild violets this past weekend out of my yard and made Wild Violet Jelly!

 
At 4/22/2010 9:46 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Oooh, that sounds good, too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home