Friday, April 23, 2010

Independence Days #47

What a jam-packed week!

I knew at the beginning of the week that life would be very busy, but I'm happy to report that not only did I make it through safe and sound, but I also had a blast. The OEFFA Male worked me hard at the farm this week, and though my shins are a bit bruised from crawling around dry soil and rocks to plant potatoes, I feel like I got a lot done for him.

And I wrapped up the week with a special treat -- a visit to Lucky Penny Creamery in Kent, where I helped Abbe scoop out the chèvre. (More on that visit once I get photos and notes together.)

The week's not over yet -- I'm doing a wild edibles cooking demo at the market tomorrow -- and then I get a brief respite before jumping into yet another full schedule.

That's life! And it's good to get a few things done along the way...

1. Plant something: Strawberry "babies" at the Renaissance Man's garden; kohlrabi, lettuce, pac choi, mustard green seedlings and potatoes at the OEFFA Male's farm.

2. Harvest something: Sage at the Renaissance Man's garden; sweet overwintered kale (for a snack) at the OEFFA Male's farm.


3. Preserve something: Made violet sugar.

4. Reduce waste (Waste not): Worked out a better schedule for baking artisan breads so that I can stretch cheese containers over a couple of batches (instead of one and snacking); used sour milk in pancakes; all the usual stuff.

5. Preparation and storage (Want not): Milled the last of my wheat and spelt; sifted spelt; restocked cheeses and herbs for artisan breads; emptied and put away more canning jars; restocked on flours and oils.


6. Build local food systems: Took inventory to market; signed up for and purchased food for a wild edibles cooking demo at the market; visited My Spiral Friend and took home some of her strawberry "babies"; baked a pear chèvre crumb cake (above) for a client; shared fresh croissants with The Photographer, who shared coffee, brew, and dinner with me in return; worked at the farm three days; had a review of the documentary "PolyCultures" published at The Ethicurean; baked 43 loaves of bread this week (all but two for market); gave one loaf to Abbe at Lucky Penny Creamery; toured Lucky Penny and helped scoop the chèvre out of the vat.

7. Eat the food: Salad in a pita pocket; pancakes; broccoli pizza; white beans with dried kale and onions, simmered in homemade stock; hash browns with chard, cheddar, and egg;
chèvre with artisan bread.

Good times! What's new with you?

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 4/25/2010 7:15 PM, OpenID eatclosetohome said...

Wow! That all looks so wonderful!

The sweetie and I planted oaks and red twig dogwoods and serviceberries (about 30, total). Got the screen houses mostly up. Will transplant kale soon! Found some great nearby forest for R&R.

 
At 4/26/2010 8:26 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Not to mention you finished that AWESOME root cellar! Go, E! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home