Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Greens Writer

I've spent a lot of time at the computer lately, working on writing and editing projects for clients and for myself. But as I'm lining up articles to pitch, write, or publish, I also need to get out and do some research.

My plan for today included joining up with The Photographer and heading eastward to visit our new friends, The Winter Harvesters, at their farm. The Photographer wants to expand her farm-related photos to cover all seasons, and I wanted to spend some time asking up follow-up questions to the ones I had emailed The Winter Harvesters a week or so ago.

First things first, though. I had to start the day with a hearty breakfast.


I made hash browns with two potatoes from my cold storage box, added shredded spinach and cheddar cheese, then slid a beaten egg under the browned potatoes for a delicious morning fry-up with all local ingredients (except oil, salt, and pepper). With some home-canned grape juice and locally-roasted coffee, I was set for an adventure.

The Photographer and I headed out mid-morning and arrived at the farm about an hour later. After a quick visit inside, we headed out to the high tunnels for the first round of photographs.


This photo comes from the visit the Renaissance Man and I made to the farm in early December, but the beds in this high tunnel are similarly green even now: the green onions are mature, the radishes and turnips have been replaced with salad greens, and a bed of carrots is nearly ready to be picked. The temperature inside the tunnel was nearly 60 F -- absolutely balmy when the temps outside hovered just above freezing!

While The Photographer did her work, I helped The Winter Harvesters with a spot of weeding, taking time occasionally to make notes on what they told us. Then we let them return to the house while we headed out around the farm for a bit.

I ducked back in first, taking the opportunity to sit down with The Winter Harvesters to ask my follow-up questions and to enjoy the conversation and the ideas that these self-proclaimed "aging hippies" tossed around. They might technically be "beginning" farmers, too, but they have many years of experience and many good ideas, and I found myself talking with them as colleagues as often as I played the role of interviewer.

They fed us some of their excellent salad mix for lunch along with a vegetable soup that featured tomatoes, corn, beans, onions, and garlic from last year's harvest, and the four of us continued to talk well after the plates were wiped clean.

The Photographer and I eventually made our way back home, carrying bags full of greens that had been given to us with much enthusiasm! -- and bubbling with excitement over the visit and planning future adventures (professional, of course) together.

Now that's work I can sink my teeth into!

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 3/03/2010 12:51 PM, Blogger Jennifer Hugon said...

Sounds like a great trip!

 
At 3/03/2010 3:57 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

A tasty one, too, Jen! They are cool people...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home