Friday, February 05, 2010

Independence Days #37

The snow has steadily drifted down outside my window for the past three hours now, the prelude to a winter storm due to intensify tonight. Though I worry a bit that this will both affect the market tomorrow and even cancel my travel plans for the weekend, it's been a delight to sit here at the computer, sip hot tea, work, and watch the flakes grow larger and pile up.

I'm glad I took my baked goods to the market earlier this afternoon. I had baked a lot of bread over the past day and a half, on top of other goodies earlier in the week, and I don't think I would have been too happy unloading all of it in the snow!

Other than the baking, it hasn't been a particularly exciting week at home food-wise, but I think I still managed to show a little Independence:

1. Plant something: Nope. I'm a little tired of sprouts!

2. Harvest something: Broccoli sprouts.

3. Preserve something: Nothing.

4. Reduce waste (Waste not): Tried to use a little less cornmeal on baking sheets and flour on the kneading board; used the rest of my butter wrappers for greasing pans; saved turnip tops for stock; converted leftover snacks from Tuesday's reception -- the ones not set out -- into items I can sell at the market tomorrow.

5. Preparation and storage (Want not): Ordered and received more chocolate for pains au chocolat; starting to work through more canned goods and stored potatoes, sweet potatoes, and squash; started list of more baking ingredients needed from a local bulk food store (I've gone through 25 lbs. of unbleached flour in a week and a half!).

6. Build local food systems: Visited with Emily of Eat Close to Home (happy times!) and showed her around Local Roots; accepted Emily's gift of Forty Seeds -- her tried-and-true bean seeds!; attended community garden discussion at Local Roots and talked with a couple of people afterwards about ideas; baked for another client; prepared crackers, spiced nuts for members-only reception for Deborah Madison; spent the afternoon with my Spiral Friend and her daughter, showing her daughter how to make chai spice shortbread; enjoyed dinner with The Photographer and planned a joint outing next week (research for an article); baked a lot for market.

7. Eat the food: Locally-made "everything" bagel; homemade croissants; ravioli with spaghetti sauce (all homemade); cherry pie; hash browns with eggs and cheese; squash soup (from The Photographer); roasted sweet potatoes and potatoes on raw turnip greens; Hakurei turnip slices (raw) with homemade baguette chunks.

A good week, in all -- even after a bumpy start.

So this evening I get to sit back, revel in the knowledge that my market work is done for the week, inhale the fragrance of roasting vegetables, and watch the snow fall some more.

And whatever happens -- well, it will be for the best.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 2/08/2010 7:43 PM, OpenID movinginspirals said...

Thanks again for the wonderful baking lesson! We are now inspired to move on to new types of shortbread and have a pots de creme recipe waiting in the wings. Must stop typing.... will drool on new keyboard. :-)

 
At 2/09/2010 8:30 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

I should send you the chocolate cinnamon shortbread recipe I just made up last night (an improvement on Martha ;-). Let me know how the pots de creme turn out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home