Sunday, February 07, 2010

Dressed to Mill

I have baked a lot of bread lately.

No, really. I mean, a lot. Like, serious bakery quantities. OK, that's a slight exaggeration, but over the past two weeks, I've baked about three dozen loaves of bread for market.

That means that not only has my KitchenAid been earning its keep, I've also gone through a lot of flour. And at this point I am totally out of the whole wheat and spelt flours I got from my mill guy in November, and I'm switching over to the home-milled variety.

That, in turn, means more work.


I loaded up a bucket of whole spelt berries and slipped and slid my way to the Renaissance Man's place today. He very kindly offered a home for my "new" big mill on his back porch, so I intended to give it a bit of a workout. And as you can see here, I needed to start by switching the burrs (that metal plate) from the coarse grind to a finer one.

Normally, this is not a difficult task. But I must stop here and add that the RM's back porch is an uninsulated one. After the snowstorm we had, the temps today were barely into the 20s, and thus the temps on his porch were, oh, maybe into the 40s.


So to grind the spelt into flour, I had to be dressed appropriately -- that is, for the frigid outdoors. And it wasn't easy undoing the burrs with thickly gloved fingers. But I persisted (with a little help from the RM) and worked and milled and ended up with about five pounds of flour (which still needs to be sifted).

You always have to have the appropriate equipment for the job, and for some jobs, you need the appropriate costume.

And yes, in this case, I was dressed to mill.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 2/08/2010 4:16 PM, OpenID eatclosetohome said...

I am impressed in about six directions at once. :)

 
At 2/08/2010 5:17 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Dang, seriously? And I wasn't even wearing the overalls... ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home