Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Bake In the Throes of Winter

Not that this is news, but it's snowing again.

Granted, here in the Land o' Woo, we're not getting the quantity of snow that folks further south (!) are seeing this week. All things considered, this is downright tolerable.

But it does have the effect of nudging me back into the kitchen to bake and to create warm fragrances that chase away the chill.


I started off the day by baking a fresh pan of baklava for this week's market day. (Good thing, too, as I just discovered an online order for some.) Boy, if the sweet scent of honey and butter and nuts and spices doesn't get your day off to a good start, something is wrong with you...


I followed that up with a dish of bread pudding. Yesterday, the Renaissance Man and I trekked down to the market so that I could pick up my leftover bread from last week's snowy market day, and he mentioned that another baker had welcomed us to the stale leftovers on his shelf. So we picked up a loaf of raisin bread, and this morning I chopped it up for this blissfully simple dessert.


In fact, it smelled and looked so good, I called up the RM -- a fellow self-employed wanderer -- to invite him over for a morning tea break so that we had a good reason to tuck in while the bread pudding was still warm. (It met his approval.)

I managed to spend a good bit of time during the late morning and into the afternoon working on writing projects -- I'm not neglecting that part of the business -- before heading back into the kitchen for more fun:


I'd had a request last weekend from a fellow producer for my pesto scones, and I promised her I would add them to the online order system. Trouble was, I didn't have a photo! So I decided to bake a batch today, purely for the sake of photography, of course -- and will leave a couple for her at the market as a precursor to putting them online. (And if I get a couple from the batch, too, well... chalk it up to quality control.)

Tomorrow will be my big baking day of the week: Thursdays work well for pushing through the breads that I sell, leaving me Friday morning to clean up any last baking and Friday afternoon for delivering things to the market.

I think the snow will taper off soon, but it certainly gave me great inspiration for making some delicious comfort foods!

And tomorrow, I'll be bake at it again...

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 2/13/2010 6:47 PM, Anonymous Chiot's Run said...

I saw your baklava at the market - looked GREAT!

 
At 2/14/2010 5:22 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Thanks! Not sure yet if I'll have it every week, but I'll likely have it again next week...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home