Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Seedy Side of Town

On a cold winter's night, a lone woman looking for comfort and warmth gets desperate. There's one raging thought on her mind -- one compelling desire that sweeps away sense -- and she finds herself reaching for the best possibility for semi-satisfaction that she can find.


Seed catalogs.

Yes, even though the winter has barely begun, the snow has piled up recently, and the arrival of one seed catalog after another has me thumbing through the pages, sighing over descriptions and ogling the photos of colorful and succulent fruits and vegetables.

And this year, my budget is limited but my desires are beyond bounds!

I turned in an abbreviated (compared to last year) Fedco order to the local OEFFA chapter, and I split a pair of potato varieties (also through OEFFA) with The Cheerful Lady for this year's farming. But then, the Sheep Lady asked if I was interested in joining her in a seed order from Bountiful Gardens, where I found a variety of intriguing cover crops (fenugreek! who knew?) and grains, so I sent her a list. And at last night's steering committee meeting at Local Roots, I snatched copies of the Territorial and Baker Creek catalogs for more ideas and potential orders. (There are still some items at Berlin Seeds, a local place, that tempt me, too.)

What's a girl to do? Like Oscar Wilde, I can resist everything except temptation -- especially when the temptation could be growing in my garden a few months hence.

I mean, wow! The varieties of eggplant! A new kind of basil! I could grow peanuts and sesame seeds! Did you see that dwarf pomegranate? -- I'm sure it would fit in my little apartment in the winter...

So I ponder, make my lists, strike items off, tot up prices, ponder some more... and at some point, once common sense and practicality have had their say and whittled down the choices, temptation will shout, "Yippee!" and send off for "just a few seeds, really, you'll find room for them, I promise..."

Thus begins another growing season...

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 1/15/2010 5:13 PM, Anonymous Barb D. said...

Hi Jen -
Took your suggestion and tried a different browser! You've made me want to start my spring planning!!
Best, Barb D.

 
At 1/15/2010 7:37 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

That's great, Barb! I'll look forward to hearing what you plant this year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home