Friday, January 22, 2010

Independence Days #35

Hmmm. Well, guess I let a whole week slip by without a post.

It's not that I haven't been doing anything food-related. I did bake a few tasty things this week, but I never grabbed the camera and never really stopped to think about them much more than eating them. Some weeks are like that.

So this week's Independence Days is likely to be short:

1. Plant something: More broccoli sprouts.

2. Harvest something: Sunflower sprouts (at last!) and broccoli sprouts.

3. Preserve something: Nothing.

4. Reduce waste (Waste not): Saved the chaff and bran sifted from my recent milling of hard red winter wheat, and will use that in sheet mulching a garden bed (once I get out to do it); saving newspaper and paper shreds and cardboard boxes for same.

5. Preparation and storage (Want not): Readjusted top shelf of canned goods to make room for other jars; checked on storage onions; restocked some baking supplies; paid for my Fedco seed order (part of the local OEFFA chapter order).

6. Build local food systems: Attended local OEFFA chapter meeting and Local Roots producer meeting; baked for The Photographer; shared homemade spaghetti sauce with the Renaissance Man (who promises lasagna for sometime in the near future); tested a gluten-free cookie recipe for a couple of colleagues; made arrangements for an upcoming reception at Local Roots.

7. Eat the food: Ravioli (from the freezer) with homemade spaghetti sauce; squash with dried kale, chickpeas, walnuts, and local cheese; popcorn; dried apple slices for snacks.

I confess to having gone out to eat often this week, spending time with friends, but though most of the food was not local (save for the current on-tap Great Lakes brew of Conway's Irish Ale, yum), the time with friends made it all worthwhile.

I do plan to get more baking done this next week, but unless I have my camera in hand, you still might not believe me, so I'll work on that.

More anon...

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home