Monday, January 04, 2010

Bake In Action

Happy New Year to all, just a few days late. I confess to having gone out on New Year's Eve -- the first time in ages -- and sharing merriment, excellent food, homebrew, and a late, late night with very entertaining people. I guess I'm still recovering!

Gradually, though, I have managed to find my way back into the kitchen and to test some potential recipes for market:


--Maple oatmeal bread, a recipe from the King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking book (with slight changes): I had to let it rise for a couple of hours on Saturday as I met up with a friend for afternoon "tea," and the result was an astonishingly light and tender loaf for something chock full of oats and spelt flour. Needs a touch more salt, but otherwise, it's a keeper.


--Berry-nut scones: This was a one-off as I used up the last of the dried wild blueberries from my New Hampshire vacation, but with chopped almonds and homemade candied orange peel, it was a worthy final flourish for the berries. The basic recipe will be one that allows me to showcase any number of fruit and nut combinations while also offering the wholesome taste of whole grains. Another winner.


--Chocolate-hazelnut biscotti. It's been some time since I made this recipe -- why??? Rich cocoa powder, toasted hazelnuts, melty chocolate chips -- what's not to love? Add in a hidden helping of whole grains and a kiss of maple sugar, and you've got the perfect accompaniment to your mid-morning coffee break.

Yes, I think all three of these will end up at the market at one point or another, though I'll probably only offer the bread on the online order system. Since I found a neat round jar for my biscotti display, I'll definitely have to keep that filled with these chocolate-hazelnut treats as well as my ginger-pecan beauties.

I've got several more recipes dog-eared, so I might be baking again soon...

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 1/05/2010 6:58 AM, OpenID movinginspirals said...

Excuse my while I wipe up some chocolate hazelnut inspired drool from my keyboard...

 
At 1/05/2010 7:06 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Yeah, they're pretty tasty -- sorry you aren't just a little closer geographically to be one of my taste testers! ;-) Will see if I have any left by this weekend...

 
At 1/06/2010 8:43 AM, Blogger Jennifer Hugon said...

Oh dear.... the Chocolate-hazelnut biscotti is beckoning to me. Nummy!!

 
At 1/06/2010 8:45 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

You mean I need to bring you some tonight, Jen? ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home