Saturday, December 05, 2009

Market Report: 12/5/09

Just a quick report on this week's holiday farmers' market at Local Roots:

I did not have quite as much in the way of baked goods available for sale, so I didn't bring home as much money in my check, but it was still good to be there and sell some good homemade bread and such. The traffic seemed to be down a bit, though overall sales at the market were good.

As for my own buying, I tried to hold back this week since I was astonished to find so much food still lingering in the refrigerator. I made my rounds with a shopping list in mind but still filled the Renaissance Man's capacious new basket rather well:

--rutabagas from The Salesman Farmer
--Hakurei turnips and radishes from the Winter Harvesters
--apples from the local orchard
--Red Gold potatoes and baby spinach from the Cheerful Lady
--Flat Rock cheese from the Cheese Guy
--heirloom dry beans (Jade) and blue popcorn from the Bee Inspector

The Renaissance Man picked up a few things, too, including bread (not mine; he says he can always enjoy mine for free -- ha!) and a roast, which means I'll have to find him a good recipe for pot roast (and that's a stretch for me, as you well know).

Such good food -- and it's almost the end of the year!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 12/10/2009 2:14 PM, OpenID eatclosetohome said...

Hakurei turnips are the most divine vegetable I've discovered in years! Seriously, how could you not love a sweet, juicy, crunchy ping-pong ball? It proves some hybrids are worth planting, methinks. I wonder what it's crossed with? Daikon radish is my guess...

 
At 12/10/2009 2:22 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

They are mighty tasty, Emily -- greens, too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home