Saturday, December 12, 2009

Market Report: 12/12/09

And still the market marches on!

Since our holiday farmers' markets at Local Roots continue through next week, I'm still baking up a storm. (Note to regular readers: that's why there is no Independence Days update this week. Maybe next week!) Today I had another bountiful table full of delicious treats:

--baklava
--biscotti (cherry-almond and ginger-pecan)
--breads (pain aux noix and julekage)
--cookies (sunshine cookies and chai spice shortbread)
--crackers (sesame thins)
--muffins (cinnamon nut)
--nuts (rosemary walnuts)
--scones (pesto)

I sold out of a few things (hooray!) and discovered one or two items that won't really be worth taking to market again any time soon. I also had a few people ask about baklava since I had limited quantities this week -- nice to know what's in demand!

I also managed to get out for a quick visit around the store, but I managed to keep a relatively firm rein on my spending.


I had hoped to find kale today, but given that produce was in somewhat limited supply, I settled for:

--a stir-fry package of pac choi, radishes, turnips from the Winter Harvesters
--Black Swamp Gouda from the Cheese Guy
--maple sugar from the Maple Makers
--honey stout mustard from a woman who makes a wide range of mustards and jellies
--savory croutons from the Young Amish

It's nice standing on the other side of the table for now, finding out what appeals to customers while also talking with other "producers" as a peer, not as a nosy customer. I am learning so much!

Next Saturday we'll have our final indoor farmers' market and then close for renovations before opening as an actual store. The final market is being billed as a "tasting" market, so in addition to my usual samples, I think I will try a few new things to see what might be worth selling in future. Should be exciting!

Another good day!

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 12/12/2009 10:44 PM, OpenID movinginspirals said...

Glad to hear your new endeavor is going well! Congrats!

 
At 12/14/2009 7:08 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Thanks! Little by little...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home