Friday, December 04, 2009

Independence Days #30

Yes, I know, it's been quiet around here this week. I have a good excuse: I've been busy baking. And it will be that way the next couple of weeks as I bake up a storm for selling at the market.

In the meantime, I exercised just a little bit of Independence...

1. Plant something: Nothing.

2. Harvest something: Pac choi, beautiful chard (golden, gone orange), carrots, fava beans from the Southern Belle's garden.

3. Preserve something: Strained and bottled thyme oil.

4. Reduce waste (Waste not): Cleaned up recipe corner, pulled some possible recipes for winter vegetables.

5. Preparation and storage (Want not): Not sure I really did much in this category this week, but at least I started a mental list of other areas where I need to stock up; did start looking through the Fedco seed catalog.

6. Build local food systems: Sold home-baked goods at the market again; finished up the Local Roots newsletter; worked on planning a couple of LR events.

7. Eat the food: Leftover Bangkok noodles; oatmeal pancakes; gratin with beet greens, Cheddar cauliflower, pesto scones, local cheese; kale and potato soup; popcorn and cider.

I've got ideas for other things I'd like to be doing as part of this challenge, but right now my focus is limited. The winter break is coming soon, though, so I'm holding on until I can get that nice long stretch of time at home.

And then maybe I'll be able to start using some of my stored food a little more!

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home