Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Gifts of Christmas Present

I'm always so glad when Christmas finally arrives. After the buildup of baking and gift-wrapping (even on the limited scale I practice) and family get-togethers, it's such a relief to wind down for a week between Christmas and New Year's.

Though every year I try to persuade my wonderful family that no, really, I don't need presents, they still manage to spoil me. This year, they kept my new baking venture in mind, and that made it easier to welcome a few new things into my limited kitchen space:


--My Wonderful Parents bought me an insulated baking sheet (not shown), two baguette pans (also not shown), and a copy of the Ball Complete Guide of Home Preserving.

--My Fabulous Aunt delivered a basket full of quarts of homemade grape juice, a quart of apple pie filling, a half-pint of "friendly" peach jam, and a handful of empty jars (all put away).

--My Culinarily-Challenged Aunt found a couple of smaller baking sheets with ridges that she thought might work well for my scones and biscotti, and she also sent a bag of crystallized ginger slices (not shown).

--The Renaissance Man's family surprised me with two small bamboo cutting boards that will come in very handy in preservation season!

I get the feeling I'm supposed to take this week's vacation as time to do some test baking and major cooking, don't you?

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 12/29/2009 2:33 PM, OpenID movinginspirals said...

Those sound like lovely gifts! I'm glad your new baking venture is going well. Best wishes for continued success in 2010!

 
At 12/29/2009 3:13 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Thank you, my Spiral Friend! I guess I'd better test some new recipes one of these days...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home