Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Are You Being Preserved?

It's been quite a while since the busiest part of preservation season ended, though a few projects have trickled through the fall. Now that winter is officially here, though, I figured I'd better take a look through my cabinets and shelves and come up with the final tally on all the food I canned, pickled, and dried (as well as the herbal preparations I made).

Canned:

4 pts. applesauce
1 qt. apple pie filling (gift from My Fabulous Aunt)
4 pts. blueberries
4 pts. cherries
1 pt. cherry juice
?? pts. grape juice (plus 7 qts from My Fabulous Aunt)
12 pts. peaches (from the Chef Mother)
4 pts. pears
a few small jars of raspberry jam
a few half-pint jars of strawberry jam
3 1/2 pts. tomato sauce
14 pts. tomatoes
4 pts. salsa
4 pts. tomatillo mincemeat
11 pts. pizza sauce
7 jars watermelon pickles
5 jars zucchini relish
plus two rounds of kohlrabi kim chi

Dried:
Fruits: apple chunks, cinnamon apple slices, cherries, elderberries, ground cherries, raisins, strawberries
Herbs: basil, calendula, cilantro, lavender, lemon balm, nettle, oregano, parsley, peppermint, red clover, rose petals, rosemary, sage, spearmint, thyme
Vegetables: broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, celery, cherry tomatoes, kale (lots of it!), lambs' quarters, pac choi, peas, red cabbage, spinach, tomatoes (slices), zucchini shreds

Frozen:
4 pkg green beans
2 pkg blueberries
6 pkg broccoli
2 pkg celery
3 pkg corn
2 pkg edamame
3 pkg breaded eggplant
1 pkg pac choi
3 pkg peas
3 pkg roasted red peppers
2 pkg red raspberries
2 pkg onion-pepper puree disks
several pounds butter, in 1/2 c measures
small cubes of pesto

Herbal Delights:
Honey: borage, lavender, lemon balm, peppermint, rosemary, thyme
Oils: calendula, chickweed (2 bottles), plantain, rosemary, thyme (2)
Tinctures: basil, borage, burdock, chickweed, dandelion (2), hawthorn, lavender, lemon balm, motherwort, peppermint (2), plantain, red clover, rose hips (nearly 1 qt), rosemary, shepherd's purse, thyme

Root Cellar/Cold Storage:
beets, carrots, potatoes, squash, sweet potatoes, turnips

Hmmm... is it any wonder I'm tired? That is a LOT of food, and aside from giving away a few jars of jam or zucchini relish as gifts, I've barely touched it. I had planned this major stash early in the year, and I've planned to share it in regular meals with the Renaissance Man. But thanks to Local Roots, I've still had plenty of fresh food to enjoy. (I'm also still harvesting fresh vegetables from the garden -- oh, the beauty of root vegetables!)

In short, between all of this, the close-to-150 pounds of grain I have stashed away, and the four dozen eggs from the Lady Bountiful in the refrigerator, I really should have no reason to buy groceries any time soon (aside from maybe milk).

So maybe that's my New Year Challenge -- how long can I go without buying groceries? And what will those meals look like?

Anyone care to lay down any bets in the comments?

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home