Saturday, November 21, 2009

Market Report: 11/21/09

What a wonderful -- if crazy busy! -- day!

Today, Local Roots held the first annual holiday market, with 42 vendors showing up to sell not only the usual produce, meats, cheeses, and baked goods, but also craft items, beautiful works of art, and a host of other holiday gift possibilities.

We also had Gene Logsdon as a special guest, sitting up front with a table full of his books. He and his wife Carol saw a steady stream of admirers and well-wishers throughout the day, and they expressed great appreciation for the work we've been doing at the market. Very gratifying! I spent time with them when I could, as Gene is a delightful storyteller, and I even had him sign a couple of my books from home as well as a copy of his newer novel, The Last of the Husbandmen, for my library.


The rest of the time, I could mostly be found here, behind my own table. That's right, I've become a producer member myself in order to sell a variety of my home-baked specialties, and judging by the success of my first time out, I'd say they were well-received.


I had a small selection of both yeast and quick breads, cinnamon rolls, pesto scones, biscotti...


...crackers, rosemary walnuts, and -- of course -- little boxes of homemade baklava.

I did sell out of a number of things and found that having samples available helps a LOT with sales, but I also learned that too much variety or quantity can hurt rather than help. Good thing to know for future markets!

I did get a brief chance to wander around and do my own shopping for the day, but I didn't get much in the way of food:

--red onions from the Fiddlin' Farmer
--Cheddar cauliflower from the Ecoganic Farmer
--peanut butter cookies from the Mennonite Baker (because I wasn't going to eat my own profits!)
--a handful of gift items from various other vendors (no details here, as the gift recipients follow this blog and don't need to have the surprise spoiled!)

I also managed to score two little jars of honey jam (blackberry and raspberry) from the big honey seller -- she had used them as sample jars and could not legally then sell or reuse them, so they had to be given away. (Darn!)

It turned out to be a great deal overall, with the volume of sales doubling from our first market week, and the turnout and enthusiasm was so high that we decided to invite the craft vendors back until Christmas, to give them an opportunity to sell more and to continue the festive atmosphere. What fun!

Looks like we've all got our work cut out ahead of us!

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 11/22/2009 6:32 PM, OpenID eatclosetohome said...

Wow! What a gorgeous bake stand. Very nicely done, m'dear.

 
At 11/23/2009 7:26 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Thanks, Emily! I think I will aim for less and for a different organization next week but... (shrug) ...live and learn!

Forgot, I also got two pounds (!) of maple sugar from the Maple Man! Truly... SWEET!

 
At 11/24/2009 2:32 PM, Blogger Jennifer Hugon said...

SUCH good yums. Everything I bought is gone already... in my tummy!

 
At 11/24/2009 2:33 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

You so funny, Jen! But thanks! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home