Friday, November 27, 2009

Independence Days #29

Boy, am I glad for a long holiday weekend! I wasn't able to do much beyond baking for the market this week, and I could stand some time to get caught up at home.

So here's the week's wrap-up.

1. Plant something: Nothing.

2. Harvest something: Nope.

3. Preserve something: Strained and bottled borage vinegar, basil vinegar.

4. Reduce waste (Waste not): Bad week -- pitched off-smelling red onion confit from last year, composted pears and greens gone bad.

5. Preparation and storage (Want not): Stocked up on boxed pasta, coconut milk, olive oil, nuts, other items for baking.

6. Build local food systems: Started selling home-baked goods at the market (did well for my first week!); visited with Gene Logsdon, our special guest at the holiday market; worked on marketing plan; worked on the December newsletter; shared Thanksgiving with My Wonderful Parents (I didn't cook, but the Renaissance Man and I picked up the turkey); met the parents of the turkey that graced our Thanksgiving table (from the Sheep Lady's farm).

7. Eat the food: Took cider and baklava to potluck; homemade pizza with chard (with friends); kohlrabi, carrots, crackers, and cheese for lunches; pasta with squash, kale, and thyme; hash browns; another local Thanksgiving, with turkey, mushroom dressing, baked squash, cranberry-orange relish (OK, not local), rolls, wine, and pumpkin custard.

Well, that wasn't as bad as I had thought, really. I'm sure there won't be a whole lot of planting any time soon, and preserving is definitely tapering off. But I still have areas to work on...

So, on to next week!



Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home