Sunday, November 29, 2009

Go Ahead, Bake My Day

We've had a beautiful weekend here with temps in the 50s and sunny skies, but since I'm too darn stubborn to turn on my furnace any higher than the bottom reading of 58 yet (even when the overnight temps dip low), it's been staying rather chilly indoors.

Since I've been baking lots of breads and other good stuff for the market, it hasn't really bothered me. The kitchen is small enough that having the oven on for a while definitely helps with the heating (and the fragrances can't be beat!).

But since I decided to take a day off from market baking today, I needed another good reason to crank up the oven.

Luckily, I spent some time this morning cleaning up my recipe corner and stumbled across a recipe from my CSA pickup sheets for a beet greens gratin. Having just bought beets with beautiful greens yesterday, I thought this would be a good recipe to try before the greens wilted too badly.

I didn't stick with the written recipe, of course, and made it more of a casserole by adding in the leftover pesto scones from the market (crumbled), some Cheddar cauliflower, the shredded remains of the fantastic Flat Rock Abondance cheese from the market, and the last of my stale bread crumbs sprinkled on top.


At the same time, I baked a pie pumpkin and a rounded delicata-style squash (what are those called, anyway?) -- one for a future dessert and the other to accompany dinner. Looks pretty good, no?

Suffice it to say, it tasted as good as it looked, and with a cup of mulled cider, it hit the spot and warmed me up for the evening.

And that makes my day!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home