Sunday, October 25, 2009

Wedding For the Verdict?

So, after all that baking for the Farmgirl Wannabe's wedding, I was eager to find out how my little offerings would be received.


When we arrived under the big tent, we found one end of the tent thronged with people lined up at the bar and -- right next to it -- browsing their way through the appetizers. Wasn't it beautifully decorated?

Everything looked so good, and my contributions looked even more appealing in that setting. I loved how the breads ended up nested in bowls that brought out their wholesome goodness, and the spiced nuts sparkled in the cut-crystal jars (at the bottom of the photo). The crackers were placed next to the large cheese board, silently offering themselves as the perfect foil for all those creamy flavors.

In short, I was impressed.


So, too, were other people, apparently, because as the evening wore on, the levels in those bowls and tins dropped steadily, and the comments occasionally came floating back to me. The Renaissance Man and I sat at a table surrounded by other Local Roots folks, all of whom praised the items I had made. One person insisted that I either sell the spiced nuts at the market on a regular basis or I give him the recipe, and our chair added that I was pretty well committed now to baking the crackers to sell.

Later in the evening, our treasurer (and mother of the bride) took a number of us to meet The Decorator, one of our members and a potential investor, and when she found out I was the baker behind the sesame thins, she grabbed my hand and absolutely insisted that I sell them at the market on a regular basis so that she could enjoy them.

Of course, the rest of the evening was wonderful, too: the wedding ceremony itself was short and sweet and rich with loving meaning, the buffet dinner (catered by the chef from the local Bistro) was delicious and filling, the cake (carrot cake covered with chocolate fondant) was surprisingly light as well as tasty, and I even managed to get the RM onto the dance floor for one song before we left. We had a satisfying evening overall -- for so many reasons.

And that baking? Yep, that all worked out well. I'm definitely committed now. (Or I should be...)

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 10/29/2009 3:35 PM, Blogger Jennifer Hugon said...

It was allll yummy. :D

 
At 10/30/2009 7:11 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Thanks, Jen! I did get around to making a cauliflower gratin last night but it was nowhere near as velvety as the one we had at the wedding.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home