Sunday, October 11, 2009

So Apple Together

Following the success of our blueberry picking adventure this summer, My Adorable Nephews wanted to do something else out at the Orchard.

When told about the other crops available, they exclaimed, "Can we come back and pick apples?"

How could I say no? My little guys want to help harvest food? Yeah, I'm not passing that one up.

So a couple of weeks ago, the Southern Belle and I conferred as to when would be a good date for our apple adventure. We had originally planned to head out next weekend, but a last minute change in her schedule caused us to bump up our outing.

Fortunately, the weather cooperated yesterday, giving us blue skies and sunshine and even a bit of warmth.


After the lady in the market had directed us to the best areas to pick, we selected certain varieties for our picking. We started with the Red and Golden Delicious apples, so right for eating -- and the trees obliged us by offering plenty of low-hanging fruit for the boys to reach.


As with the blueberry picking, both Beaker and Scooter ran around gleefully in search of "my best yet" and "my prize-winning" sample of each variety. They were impressed with the size and beauty of the different varieties, especially the jumbo-sized Melrose apples (on right) that took two hands to pull from the branches.


By the time we had finished -- a very short time later, it seemed! -- we had four of these bags crammed full of Red and Golden Delicious, Melrose, Empire, Mutsu, and Cortland apples. One bag, loaded with Melrose and Cortland fruit, will get tucked away for applesauce making next week, while the rest are fair game.

They dropped me off at home with a dozen or so apples of my own, so I added them to the motley collection I already have. And by this evening, I was ready to peel and slice several of them to add to a homemade pie. Heavenly!

How could I not be happy this time of year?

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 10/12/2009 3:01 PM, OpenID movinginspirals said...

What a fun thing to do with the kiddos! I'm sure they will always remember your orchard adventures.
Our weekend plans changed and so we were able to attend the CSA potluck. Great food and surroundings (so beautifully decorated!) and a nice chance to meet some of the "Thursday" folks too. Sorry you weren't able to make it.

 
At 10/12/2009 3:03 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

I think they will... and I think they're ready for more such adventures!

Glad you made it to the potluck! The Lady B. had mentioned some of the fun activities, so I was very sorry to miss it.

 
At 10/13/2009 7:34 AM, Blogger Jennifer Hugon said...

What a fun day! Those apples are gorgeous and the mere thought of apple pie has me drooling on the keyboard. I love autumn! :)

 
At 10/13/2009 7:38 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

I know, Jen -- I've been itching for apple pie for a while. And I have more apples, hence I could make more pie. Hmmmm... ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home