Saturday, October 31, 2009

Market Report: 10/31/09

The day started off grey and rainy and chilly, and I wanted nothing more than to burrow back under my covers and sleep many hours more.

But no, a busy day awaited me, so I was up with the lark (probably before) to get myself ready to head down to the farmers' market. Five lone vendors remained for the final day of the Downtown Farmers' Market, and very few people braved the early dreariness to stop by, so I spent some time talking with them all and buying good fall produce (sorry, no photo):

--cauliflower, broccoli, and Brussels sprouts from the Amish Farmer
--Yukon Gold potatoes, two tea breads, and a cookie from Handyman Joe
--carrots and chard from the Lady Bountiful

I made a quick stop for hot spiced coffee and then headed to Local Roots to take care of some last minute details before our open house began.

For the next six hours, life was something of a blur!


Early on, the crowds came streaming through to see the building, find out more about what they can expect to find in coming weeks, enjoy some food, ask questions, and visit with their neighbors.


A number of us on the steering committee baked sweet treats for the open house -- I contributed my ginger molasses cookies -- but our producer members also pitched in. The two tea breads I had bought from the Cheerful Lady made it to the table, along with delicious crackers from the Spelt Baker (whose husband brought me my 100-lb. grain order!), and a fantastic artisan cheesemaker shared samples of his divine almost-Gruyère and another cheese. No wonder our guests were so happy!


The paint we added to the room this week certainly helped to provide a warm and welcoming contrast to the chilly grey day for the outdoor market, and the bright, cheerful front door with its trademark carrot (above) created an atmosphere of fun for everyone as they entered.


A couple of producer members took the initiative to come in and set up tables displaying some of their products as a hint to shoppers as to what they will find. I had the pleasure of talking with this couple (who farm not far from the Farm) and, at the end of the day, happily took home their beautiful surplus kale (both curly and dinosaur).


As the open house wound down around 3, we began to clean up. Having manned the till most of the day, I was delighted to report that we had received several new paid memberships (including a few new producers) and sold almost 20 t-shirts! Most of stayed to straighten things up, clean up the refreshments, put things away, and vacuum -- as well as to talk about the great success of the day.

As for me, I'm bundling up into the truck and heading off to the Farm with the Renaissance Man for the rest of the weekend in order to get a well-deserved rest!

And guess what? The Market Reports will continue next week!

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 11/02/2009 10:31 AM, Blogger Jennifer Hugon said...

What a great open house! The excitement is building and I look forward to the Farmers' Market on Saturday!

 
At 11/02/2009 10:32 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Amen to that, Jen! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home