Friday, October 02, 2009

Independence Days #21

At long last, I made it back into the garden!

And just in time, too, as we had our first serious cold snap this week. I didn't see any frost damage in the garden (the basil looked fine), but I was glad that I had finally put in almost the last crops before it was too late.

I'm trying to keep up indoors, too:

1. Plant something: Lettuce, spinach, and garlic at the Renaissance Man's garden (finally!).

2. Harvest something: Black Cherry tomatoes, lemon balm, basil, lavender, calendula flowers at the Renaissance Man's garden.

3. Preserve something: Dried more squash chips, cherry tomatoes, lemon balm, cinnamon apple slices, parsley; made and canned grape juice; made seventeen 1/2-cup blocks of basil butter to freeze; air-dryed calendula blossoms; froze strips of red and orange peppers; strained and bottled elderberry cordial.

4. Reduce waste (Waste not): Rescued a few "seconds" from among the Lady Bountiful's produce; kept the furnace as low as possible during this first cold snap (has only come on once, and that by accident); didn't take everything in this week's CSA share since I knew I wouldn't be able to use it all.

5. Preparation and storage (Want not): Harvested and dried calendula and cosmos seeds; packed away other seeds; placed a big order with King Arthur for specialty baking ingredients (and a kitchen scale); bought sand and set up root cellar storage boxes for root crops; bought new dish towels; started setting up cold storage with box of wrapped-up butternut squash.

6. Build local food systems: Wrapped up Local Roots newsletter for October; spent a day helping the Lady Bountiful (including cleaning about 40 squash for the Forty Seeds Project) and talked farming with her; planned apple-picking outing with the Southern Belle and My Adorable Nephews; stocked up the Renaissance Man's supply of winter squash at the same time as mine.

7. Eat the food: Baked acorn squash with maple syrup; sautéed spinach and garlic with balsamic vinegar; pesto scones; a Thai-inspired emerald curry with zucchini, edamame, green beans, garlic scapes, and poblano pepper (all from the Lady Bountiful's CSA!); broccoli pizza.

There's still plenty to do, what with a little more produce coming my way through my CSA share and a few more weeks left in the farmers' market season.

But the cold weather is coming soon, and it won't be long before all that care I gave the garden and the pantry starts to give back to me.

And we'll see just how "independent" I can be this winter!

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 10/03/2009 9:06 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

It's sunny this fine, cold Saturday morning and I'm ignoring my huge work pile to catch up on some blog reading for an hour or two. I use a feed reader and end up skipping over blogs that I have to click through to... but goodness, I've missed reading you!

we mostly survived the frost the other morning, so I hope to get one more small batch of pesto made today, then that's the end of my basil. Must make time to put the gardens to bed and dispose of the blight-ridden tomato vines, but am so busy with work right now... ah well... that's a good thing, too.

hope you're well! xo

 
At 10/05/2009 7:11 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Well, hello, Kelly! I've missed hearing from you, but I'm glad you're finding some time to catch up. Hope you were able to put up some pesto for winter... surprisingly, I've only done one batch of it this year.

Keep hanging in there, and I will try to catch up with you more one of these days! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home