Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Cider -- House Rules!

When the Cheerful Lady offered me some of her "house" cider, made with apples and a few pears from her farm, I couldn't resist, despite there being nearly a gallon of cider from a local mill already in the refrigerator!

In fact, having two different ciders called for a taste testing. And I knew just who to call on to help me with the sampling.


The Renaissance Man was, as always, ready to help. So last night we sat down with two cups of cider each: one from the mill, and the other from the Cheerful Lady.

And the results? Drumroll, please...

Color and clarity:
--the mill cider had a darker color, not as clear
--the CL's cider had more amber tones, was crystal clear

Body:
--the mill's cider had more substance to it (due to the sediment)
--the CL's cider was lighter to drink but tasted fuller

Flavor:
--the mill's cider had overtones of spices to it, but after repeated sips, the flavor started to fall flat
--the CL's cider had a more complex flavor (you could really taste Apple, and multiple varieties at that) that held up over time

Overall:
--The mill's cider was very good, sweet, satisfying, would make good mulled cider.
--The CL's cider really had more character (that must be because of Handyman Joe, a real character himself, having a hand in it), had a better apple flavor, tasted more refreshing, and was superior for drinking straight up.

I was really impressed with the mill's cider when I first tasted it as the flavor was so much better than what we find at our local orchard, and yes, I still like it very much. But the fresh, clear, thoroughly apple-laden house cider from the Cheerful Lady's farm kept edging it out.

Who needs wine when local cider can be so satisfying and have so many differences from pressing to pressing?

That's right -- in this house, cider rules!

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 10/17/2009 10:41 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

we're heading out to our local orchard/mill for apples, pears and cider. can't wait to make hot cider this afternoon while I do some cooking for a big potluck party tonight. yum!

 
At 10/19/2009 7:02 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

I meant to mull some cider this weekend while I baked, but... well, I guess I got too busy. :-( But I keep chugging it!

 
At 10/19/2009 10:37 AM, Blogger Jennifer Hugon said...

MMmmm mmm mm.. and I love the title of this post ;)

 
At 10/19/2009 10:41 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Ah, Jen, your fabulous nerdiness is only exceeded by your excellent literary taste! ;-)

 
At 10/20/2009 6:35 PM, Blogger Tina said...

There's a fabulous cidery up in Suttons Bay, MI that makes fabulous hard cider in many different blends. If you ever get up that way I recommend checking it out. It's called Tandem Ciders, so named because the owner and his wife rode across Europe on a tandem bike.

 
At 10/21/2009 7:02 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Now see, Tina, local hard cider is something I have yet to find. I may require your tour guide skills for that kind of adventure. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home