Sunday, October 18, 2009

And a Good Thyme Will Be Had By All...

Yes, I managed to squeeze in testing yet another baked treat for the Farmgirl Wannabe's wedding next week.

When I reviewed recipe ideas with her, crackers stuck out in my mind as a good all-around crowd-pleaser (especially with dips and cheeses at hand). But I also thought that I might want to try a savory version of shortbread -- something buttery and flaky with a little edge of salt and a hint of some herb.

Since I picked up a large bunch of fresh thyme -- with a scent like the fragrant evergreens of Christmas -- from the Cheerful Lady yesterday, I figured this would be an excellent herb to use.

So here it is:


I used my chai spice shortbread recipe and took out the sugar and sweet spices, added a little extra salt along with the dried thyme and some dried grated orange peel, and worked in just a little more liquid to hold it all together.

They turned out perfect: rich but light, fragrant but not too heavy on the herb flavor. And I cut them small to make them stretch a little farther (though I suspect they may prove addictive, in which case no amount will be quite enough!)

Sounds like the right food for a good time, don't you think?

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 10/19/2009 4:31 PM, OpenID movinginspirals said...

Yum! I think both shortbreads sound just wonderful. I'm sure the chai version will find its way to our tea table soon!

 
At 10/21/2009 7:01 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Yes, it sounds like the perfect thing to go with your chai afternoons, my Spiral Friend! Hope you enjoy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home