Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Oh, Say, Can You CSA? 2009 Week 19

You know how you can tell it's the end of the CSA season? Three things:

--There's a frost advisory for the area.
--The Lady Bountiful is bundled up in warm clothes and has brighter roses on her cheeks than usual.
--The tables are loaded with the biggest, most colorful selection of produce we've seen all season.


With the threat of frost, the Lady had apparently kicked into high gear and picked much more than usual in order to avoid losing much still on the plants. This enormous selection of peppers proves it!

And while those of us there to collect our shares wandered around the tables, the Lady's children headed off into the fields to cover rows of delicate crops with lengths of thick plastic, hoping to ward off the cold for a little while longer.

That all means it's time to stock up on good food!


This week's share included:

--one watermelon (mine)
--two butternut squash (split)
--two sweet onions (split)
--two garlic bulbs (mine)
--one pint French Fingerling potatoes (mine)
--two small eggplant (for my folks)
--one and a half pounds green beans (mine)
--one bunch pac choi (mine)
--one pint tomatillos (mine)
--one bunch cilantro (mine)
--one bunch Swiss chard (mine)
--one bunch arugula (we left this on the table as none of us much care for it)
--one bunch beets (mine, for cold storage)
--one bunch leeks (ditto)
--two pounds Roma tomatoes (mine)
--two pounds peppers (I only took one pound)
--you-pick basil and parsley
--and my usual half-dozen eggs

Yes, I took nearly everything since My Wonderful Parents are about to head off on a trip. And not only did I score the bulk of the week's share, I had also ordered (in advance) another four butternut squash, two acorn squash, two spaghetti squash, and 20 bulbs of garlic! The squash I'll share with the Renaissance Man, and the garlic I gave to the Chef Mother for drying and grinding into garlic powder for me.

Only one more week of this year's CSA is left, and I already know (inside information, you know) that it will include cabbage, more squash and onions and garlic, loads of greens, and possibly even pears. That will indeed be a treat!

I've heard a rumor about season extension, so we'll see what happens with that. But even so, the harvest is winding down.

So we'll enjoy it while we can!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home