Saturday, September 26, 2009

Market Report: 9/26/09

We've shifted into fall officially now, with the days growing shorter, cooler, and a little greyer. It's the sort of weather that makes you want to sleep in, bundle up, and fill your home with the scents of cinnamon and apples and pumpkins and the like.

It's heaven, in fact, even if you can't quite make it out through the drizzle and the dwindling crowd at the farmers' market.

People are simultaneously hurrying up and slowing down, strolling through the market but frantically considering how to fill the larder before winter comes.

At least I am. We've one month left in the market season (the outdoor market season, I should add with delight), and while fewer vendors show up each week, there's still plenty to make me want to grab handfuls of potatoes and apples and squash, like a squirrel clutching an acorn to its chest with that unmistakably blank but panicked look.

I mean, what other explanation could there be for this?


--cucumbers, radishes, and a pie pumpkin from the Cheerful Lady
--potatoes from the Spelt Baker
--half a peck of Concord grapes (and a black raspberry fry pie) from the orchard
--zucchini from the Lady Bountiful
--Wolf River and Sweet Sixteen apples from the Orchardist
--broccoli and "sweet taters" from the Young Farmers
--two small striped eggplant from the Master Gardener

Some of that will be for eating this week, sure, but I'll also put up grape juice, add potatoes and sweets to my cold storage, and possibly dry some apples for winter snacks.

The Renaissance Man joined me for the stroll, but he played the carefree Grasshopper to my food-storing Ant: he bought more of the Sweet Sixteen apples for his own pleasure this week, a pint of honey, a peach fry pie, rhubarb coffeecake, and pecan sticky buns. (I hope he shares those with me!)

I even persuaded My Dear Papa to stop at the Orchard after I helped the Chef Mother set up computer files -- and I picked up more apples (Honeycrisp), a gallon of cider, and a small jar of apple butter.

And will all that be enough for me, to keep me well into winter?

Stop back next week to find out, if you don't already know the answer...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home