Saturday, September 19, 2009

Market Report: 9/19/09

Mornings seem a little more nippy around here these days, making me reach for a long-sleeved shirt, jeans, and a jacket before I head out the door.

I don't mind, though. I like feeling that cool edge in the air, that reminder that fall is on the way. I like layering up to face the elements, and I like wrapping my hands around a cup of something warm to start my day.

What I especially like, though, is all of that on a farmers' market morning, when I give myself the time to stroll downtown, visit with some of my favorite people, pop into the Hungarian pastry shop for a little something to warm me up, and then start filling my bags with all sorts of excellent produce.


And I certainly loaded up today:

--a pie pumpkin and a bag of spinach from the Fiddlin' Farmer's Wife
--onions, Yukon Gold potatoes, three small butternut squash and a butternut-looking acorn squash from the Cheerful Lady and Handyman Joe
--celery from the Sheep Lady
--parsley, Purple Haze carrots (far out!), and Jimmy Nardello peppers from the Spelt Farmer
--two pints of honey from the Bee Man
--Roma tomatoes, summer squash, and a spaghetti squash from the Lady Bountiful's mother
--two pints of dark maple syrup from the Maple Folks
--two small eggplant from the Three-Garden Farmer
--three red peppers from the Newbies
--yams from a kind older lady
--two bars of goat milk soap from the Goat Herder

By the time I had made my rounds, I had one hefty load to take back up the hill, but I amused people as I passed, sporting my "farmers' market camoflauge" of a broad spray of celery leaves sticking out the top of my backpack and hiding my head. (Yes, I'm always good for a laugh.)

When I made it home, I settled down for a cup of tea before getting to work in the kitchen. (I have a LOT of work ahead of me.)

Who could ask for a better way to start the day?

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home