Friday, September 11, 2009

Independence Days #18

It's amazing what a long holiday weekend can do!

I headed into the Labor Day weekend feeling utterly worn out and wanting nothing more than to ignore my lengthy to-do list in favor of sleep.

I didn't, of course, and instead I managed to get back up to speed with my Independence Days activities:

1. Plant something: Again, nothing. (But I'm getting closer to doing something...)

2. Harvest something: Carrots, Chioggia beets, scallions, golden chard, pac choi, nettles, basil, nasturtium leaves and blossoms, one small zucchini, tomatoes at the Southern Belle's garden; more Black Cherry tomatoes at the Renaissance Man's garden.


3. Preserve something: Froze two bags of edamame, one of green beans; canned 14 pints tomatoes, 3 1/2 pints tomato sauce, 2 pints and 5 half-pints of watermelon pickles, 2 pints of applesauce; dried cherry tomatoes, celery, onion, nettles, pac choi, more cantaloupe candy; strained and bottled herbal tinctures (rosemary, thyme).

4. Reduce waste (Waste not): Used watermelon rinds to make pickles; finished up a few jars of preserves in the fridge to reuse the jars this season; more mending to keep some old clothes in use.

5. Preparation and storage (Want not): Started cleaning more buckwheat; combined my honey supplies in one place in the cabinet (8 pints to use this winter!); harvested seed for dill, pac choi;
stocked up on tea and fair trade coffee so I reduce my break-time spending at work; milled and sifted first of my own buckwheat for crepes.

6. Build local food systems: Talked with Local Roots volunteers at the farmers' market; shared jar of watermelon pickles with my kind neighbor; pulled together notes and handouts for an upcoming presentation on the business plan and marketing of Local Roots (for a college class); started on October newsletter; hosted marketing meeting at my place.


7. Eat the food: Leftover baingan bhartha; sautéed chard with garlic, walnuts, dried cherries; good ol' broccoli-walnut pasta; vegetable quiche; roasted beets; cucumbers, carrots, apples, ground cherries, cantaloupe candy to round out lunches; a fabulous marketing meeting feast (with local beer).

That's more like it!

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home