Monday, September 07, 2009

Honey, I'm Beet (But Quiche Me Anyway)

Well! The holiday weekend is almost over (sigh...), and I'm pleased to say that I managed to get through almost everything on my to-do list.

Hey, I even slept in this morning -- and enjoyed it.

So here's a peek at what I got done:


--14 pints of crushed tomatoes (Friday night)
--3 1/2 pints of tomato sauce (Saturday afternoon)
--2 pints and 5 half-pints of watermelon pickles (Sunday night)
--2 pints of applesauce (today)

Granted, I was disappointed by the meager results for the tomato sauce and the applesauce, but I think I managed to achieve quality, if not quantity. The applesauce is so thick I could almost stand a spoon up in it!

After all that -- and more, too -- I rested a bit in the afternoon and then caught a second wind to make dinner to share with the Renaissance Man after all his biking adventures over the three-day weekend.


I wanted to make a quiche using up some green and yellow zucchini, a sturdy carrot, and some of my rich golden CSA eggs. For a side dish, I decided to mix up all the beets in the refrigerator -- regular, Chioggia, and golden -- and toss them with a lemon-olive oil dressing before roasting them along with the baking quiche.

We both agreed that simple was what we both needed after an exhausting weekend, and though a fresh green salad would have rounded out the colors on the plate, we were pretty happy with this much.

But seriously -- I am beat!

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 9/09/2009 12:05 PM, OpenID movinginspirals said...

I am in awe of the amount of food you manage to preserve. I find that though none of the work is particularly "hard," putting food by wears me out – fast. I did manage to make spaghetti sauce, curry sauce, chili sauce and various soups, all tucked in the freezer and waiting for winter. I think that pretty much did me in for the season!

 
At 9/09/2009 1:06 PM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Maybe that's why I'm so "beet," My Spiral Friend! :-) Seriously, it can be really exhausting. My freezer is full (have yet to start on filling the RM's freezer, but I'm tempted), but at least drying food is less energy-intensive for me personally. It's always a game of pick and choose... and with all that wonderful CSA produce, there are a LOT of choices!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home