Monday, September 28, 2009

Getting Picky

I've been meaning for months to get back out to help the Lady Bountiful on her farm, but my own projects and activities have kept me so busy that I couldn't find the time.

Finally, I decided just to plan a vacation day from work in order to head north and pitch in at one of my favorite farms.


After a stormy night, the clouds parted on my drive up to the farm, casting a golden light over the dampened fields along my drive. Good thing I had my mud boots for when I got to the farm!

When I arrived, the Lady greeted me with a warm smile and immediately led the way out to the high tunnel, where we started our work by shoving the plastic up the sides of the tunnel in preparation for tonight's high wind advisory. (She really didn't want to lose that!)

We followed that up with the washing of several flats of butternut squash for this week's CSA pickups. (I'm sure I washed at least 40, so here's another check in the Forty Seeds Project column!)


Then we headed up the road to the new field and harvested lima beans (most still aren't quite ready), summer squash and zucchini, the last tomatoes on a row that has just now succumbed to the late blight, and cilantro.


We checked on other crops in the field to see how much might be available for these last two weeks of CSA. While the turnips, beets, chard, kale, and arugula are prolific in their growth, the purple variety of cauliflower had only produced a few small heads, so the Lady insisted I take a couple of heads home with me.

After a simple but satisfying lunch, rounded out by the grape pie I had brought from the Amish bakery, we headed back out to face an ever-rising and colder wind, this time to check on the cabbage crop (a good mix of green and red for the end of the CSA season!), the apples (scarce but deliciously spicy-sweet), and the pears (abundant but strangely lacking in flavor).

By that time, the Lady's children had started to return home from school, so I headed home myself (with a few stops along the way to pick up necessary items before returning the vehicle to My Wonderful -- and ever so Patient -- Parents). I took home a bag loaded -- but not loaded enough, said the Lady! -- with summer squash, peppers, purple cauliflower, chickweed (yes, I harvested some of that), apples, and basil.

I'd certainly have liked to stay longer -- or return again tomorrow -- to keep helping, but I'll have to settle for this much this time around (as will she!).

And I'll be feeling especially picky -- in the nicest sense possible! -- about this week's CSA produce!

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 9/30/2009 8:35 AM, OpenID movinginspirals said...

How nice that you were able to head over and lend a hand! It's been an excellent season... we'll sure be sad to see it end.

 
At 9/30/2009 8:37 AM, Blogger The Baklava Queen said...

Oh, same here, My Spiral Friend -- but I can tell you there will be some gorgeous and delicious things coming your way this week and next! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home